Moments Easily Missed – Problem Solved

Today we’re taking a closer look at episode 1×12 “Paradox”. Cole is dying from the aftereffects of the splintering. Aaron keeps watch while Cassie is away in New York, and Cole starts going into a grand mal seizure. Aaron watches helplessly, not sure what to do. Cole stops seizing, his body lifeless and still. Foam dribbles from the corner of his mouth.

Aaron stares, and stares again, hesitating. Is it in his nature to help Cole? If he doesn’t, wouldn’t that make all his problems go away? Can he live with the guilty conscience of his inaction hanging over his head? Maybe he can, because watch him closely. His mouth forms the smallest of smiles before he changes his mind and calls Cassie. A great, expressive moment from Noah Bean here.

1x12 Aaron

You may also like...

13 Responses

1. Jessica says:

He wanted Cole dead. He wanted Cassie all to himself and for this pesky Cole to be out of the picture. Still in denial about being the third wheel all along. No surprise that Cassie hit him in the face later in disgust, when he tried to drag her into the car like a caveman in total disregard for her own agency in the whole situation. No surprise that Cassie let Cole beat him for information. I’ve read that some people didn’t quite understand her transformation from pacifist to warrior… but there’s nothing like a man treating a woman like a gormless child to bring that out of her. This smile says it all.

• TeeJay says:

No doubt that Cole was a thorn in Aaron’s side from the beginning. I mean, he took Cassie away from Aaron. Those two years after 2013 when Cole kidnapped Cassie must have been hard. Cole was the reason that Aaron and Cassie’s relationship fell apart. But for me, there’s still a difference between wanting someone out of the picture in terms of not being there, or killing someone. And not even trying to help revive Cole is pretty much that.

I also see what you’re saying about Cassie’s transformation. To me it wasn’t all that surprising either that she started to see through Aaron. I didn’t have a problem with her standing back to watch Cole beat him. Aaron’s motivation might have been harmless enough at first, trying to protect Cassie, but he very much went about it the wrong way, and I also think there’s something very malicious in his way of thinking and acting that eventually became his downfall.

• SamanthaHolloway says:

Same! Like, it wasn’t a surprise to me that the same guy who didn’t believe Cassie for _two years_ also didn’t want to listen to her when she said she couldn’t just ditch everything and hide out while everyone died. And it was great seeing her finally see how basically skeevy he always was. This upstanding, well-off man was more vicious than the scav he couldn’t get rid of. It was so well done.

2. GfromB says:

I saw this, too. How creepy was that?! Aaron changed so much since The Red Forest. Wanting to save Cassie is a good reason but not at the cost of most of the world dying! I’m glad, Cassie showed him what she thought of it.

• TeeJay says:

Well, he was never the heartthrob type to begin with. There was always his resentment towards Cole, ever since he took Cassie away from him in the two years after 2013, but like I said in my comment response above, to me there’s a difference between wanting someone to leave you alone and wanting someone dead. And you’re right, it was quite a transformation. He became more likeable when he started to believe Cole, but his motivation to save Cassie just blinded him too much to persevere.

• SamanthaHolloway says:

I always felt like he wanted to save Cassie just to have been the one to save her–like, this white knight complex. And the way he acted when he thought they were getting back together, too, like not believing her never happened, that felt like the same thing. He likes the idea of her and the posession of her more than he likes listening to what she’s actually saying.

3. GfromB says:

• TeeJay says:

• SamanthaHolloway says:

• kd94025 says:

I had a slightly different take. First TOTAL PROPS to Noah Bean for that expression because it is instantaneous and very easy to miss or to even convince yourself that you didn’t really see it.

I think that Cassie unraveling due to constantly being worried the world was going to end is what killed that relationship, (because Cole never communicates with Cassie between 2013 and 2015) but Aaron blames Cole for that (which is essentially what you guys are saying).

Aaron’s jealousy of Cole blinds him to hearing what Cole has to say.

4. wanderingnettle says:

That moment when Aaron pauses and silently weighs up whether to act to save Cole or just to let him die reminded me so strongly of Breaking Bad. The moment that Walter White is faced with the same decision was an incredibly powerful scene and a turning point in our insight into Walter’s character, and I think it is that for Aaron as well.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find more information about cookies required by this website in our Data Privacy Statement. ➜ more information

To give you the best possible viewing experience for this website, your cookie settings need to be set to allow cookies. If you continue to use this website without blocking cookies, or if you click "Accept" in the cookie banner, you are consenting to the use of cookies for this website. You can find more information about cookies required by this website in our Data Privacy Statement.